Choosing the Right Fuel
Right RON for Your Petrol Vehicle
- The Research Octane Number (RON) is one of the commonly used measurements for Octane. RON is one of the most important properties of petrol fuel. It is a measure of the fuel to resist pre-ignition in the engine. Pre-ignition is a condition where the fuel ignites in the engine cylinder before the sparking occurs in the spark plug, also known to cause engine knocking. The higher the RON, the better is the fuel at resisting pre-ignition and knocking. Prolonged knocking can cause permanent damage to the engine.
- The engine RON requirement is largely determined by the compression ratio of the engine. The compression ratio is defined as the volume in the engine cylinder combustion chamber when the piston is at its bottom-most position (bottom dead centre) divided by the volume in the cylinder combustion chamber when the piston is at its top-most position (top dead centre). The higher the compression ratio, the higher the RON requirement. The best way to know the recommended RON requirement is to refer to your vehicle owner’s manual. In some cars, RON requirement is displayed on the fuel tank cover lid.
- Petron offers three (3) grades of unleaded petrol namely Petron Blaze 100 (RON 100), Petron Blaze 97 (RON 97) and Petron Blaze 95 (RON 95). All three grades meet the Euro 4M standard. The three grades also contain the TriAction Advantage formulation that provides better power, better mileage and better protection.
Higher Cetane for your Diesel Engine?
- Cetane number is an indication of the ignition quality of diesel fuel. The air in the diesel engine cylinder is first compressed to generate the heat followed by the injection of the diesel fuel. The hot compressed air ignites the fuel. The faster the fuel ignites, the smoother and quieter the engine will operate, including more complete combustion, better fuel efficiency and lower exhaust emission. Hence, improving the overall performance of the engine.
- The Cetane Number usually range from 40 – 60 and the higher the number the easier it is for the fuel to ignite. For most diesel engines, especially the newer higher performance ones, the diesel fuel with higher Cetane will deliver a smoother response, more power and better fuel efficiency.
- Petron Malaysia has two brands of diesel fuel, Petron Turbo Diesel Euro 5 and Petron Diesel Max. Both are formulated with a proprietary multi-additive package that includes a Cetane improver. Turbo Diesel Euro 5 is biodiesel containing 7% bio components whereas Diesel Max is biodiesel which can contain 7%, 10% or 20% bio components.